Thursday, February 07, 2013

I've reached Twitter equilibrium

Hey there,

So I reached Twitter equilibrium today. It's been a long, journey, since my initial post last May about reaching my Twitter following limit. And now, my follower number equals my following number.

Now, just in case you were wondering, I am NOT a member of Team Follow Back. I do not indiscriminately follow anyone who follows me. And if they're not someone I want to follow back, for whatever reason, I actually block them.

Unless they're spammy, then I report them for spam. This speaks to me not wanting a large number of followers at the expense of some of them being fake. Actually blogged about follower fraud last August.

Yes, this does mean that I'm not getting as many followers as I could be, but quality is just as, if not even slightly more important, than quantity. I know, blocking people I don't want to follow back might seem harsh, but occasionally I still do list them, if they're sharing useful content related to any of my Twitter lists.

But it's because I want to be just as intentional with who follows me as with whom I follow. And, no, I'm not going to go through some of my criteria for this selection process because it's always evolving and exists on a case-by-case basis.

So today, for the first day since being on Twitter, not only do the number of people I'm following equal my followers, but they're the same people. It has been a process of letting go, unfollowing people who (for whatever reason) haven't followed me back. And as I mentioned before, lists (just one of ten twitter tips I recommend) helped with this, with Tweeps whom I still saw value in.

Because I'd rather list and unfollow someone who didn't reciprocate it, than follow them at the expense of being able to follow someone else. And you can check out Twitter's page on follow limits, in case you didn't know that they limit how many people you can follow, based on how many people are following you when you've followed 2,000 Tweeps.

Anyway, at the end of the day, this is a personal choice/preference to how I want to use Twitter well for me. For some, they don't want to follow more than 2,000 people, for others they have the starpower to only follow who they want and still rake in the followers. And it all comes down to personal goals and use of Twitter.

For my purposes, this how I need to go about using it well, to engage with relevant and quality people and content with the possibility of reciprocation. This is certainly not a template most would or should follow (haha no pun intended).

So that's that. Now to get back to my trip in Mazatlan, for Carnival!!

Let me know what you think, especially if you also reached your follower limit, and how you decided to go about managing it, to get more follows as well as to follow more people,

JR

No comments: