Sunday, January 20, 2013

Performing with GMCW at HRC's Inaugural Ball

Hey there,

So it's still sinking in. I'm performing with the Gay Men's Chorus of Washington, at the Human Rights Campaign's Inaugural celebration, Out for Equality.

We'll be singing the National Anthem and several other songs. We join a line-up that includes, Cyndi Lauper, Audra MacDonald, Will Swenson, and Frenchie Davis!!


And the set-up...well I took some photos and video, but don't want to spoil the surprise. So for now, you'll just have to settle for a photo of us gettings some pre-sound check notes.


I guess it's one of those things where you get so used to the rhythm of the rehearsals, and it just becomes what you do, that opportunities like this really put things back into perspective, not just the work we do as an organization, but how far we've come as an LGBT community.

Speaking of which, how's this for a timely flashback, GMCW's appearance at the We Are One Inaugural opening ceremony from 2009, with Josh Groban and Heather Headley.


Yes, there's still much work to do, but celebrations like these, being a part of history as we celebrate the second inauguration of President Barack Obama...I'm getting emotional just sitting here, taking a breath, and thinking about it.


So in about 24 hours from now...I'm looking forward to doing work I could not have imagined I'd be doing, still sharing chorale music, like I was when I was a boy soprano at the Washington National Cathedral, about a couple of decades ago.

For anyone who's there, I hope you take photos and videos, and let me know if you do. Would like to see and share 'em.

Just glad to be a part of this moment, and appreciative and humbled now, more than ever, of being a member of the Gay Men's Chorus of Washington,

Yours in song,

JR

No comments: