Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Foundation Center classes and the return of Big Duck

Hey there,

So I was in a Fundraising committee meeting for SpeakeasyDC last night (of which I am a board member), and one of my fellow board members mentioned wanting to take advantage of the resources of the Foundation Center's location in Washington DC.

It's been a while since I've been, but they have a regular schedule of classes and trainings, many of which are free. You can check out their calendar here.

And before the night was over, I signed up for several of them. The first two are ones that they provide regularly (one of which is tomorrow and they still had space for!!), and the third one is a special program:
What I love about that last one, other than the Valentine's day themed title, is that the guest presenter is Farra  Trompeter, VP of Big Duck. My first experience with Big Duck was also at the Foundation Center DC last September, and it was with Principal and Founder, Sarah Durham.

You check out select tweets from that workshop on Brandraising, a model Big Duck developed, storified here. After that, I posted at my Hashtag the Arts blog, my top ten takeaways from it. This also informed a piece I wrote as prep for an #ArtsMgtChat I was hosting, Your Artists on Social Media: An Essential Part of Brandraising.

Needless to say, I'm a fan, and am grateful for the perspective I was introduced to, and am VERY excited to attend this class with Ms. Trompeter. And if you're free and available, I would highly recommend you register and sign up for it as well.

Wondering if you should attend? They recommend the following attend:
Nonprofit executive, communications, development, board members, or marketing staff. This workshop will be most helpful if you have an existing list of supporters, a website that can process donations, a database for tracking contributions, and a system for sending email blasts.
Definitely check out the class page for more info, including what you'll get from the workshop. And hopefully see you there, either for some donor love or either of the other classes.

JR

3 comments:

Unknown said...

JR,

So happy to hear how excited you are for my workshop on Valentine's Day! And I love to hear/see how much you got out of the Brandraising workshop by my colleague, Sarah Durham. Sounds like you are a fan of Big Duck and I'm looking forward to meeting, and being a fan of you!

Unknown said...

aww, shucks! Thanks, JR!

JR said...

Haha yeah, definitely a big fan. Looking forward to it, and Sarah, you're most welcome.

Gonna spread the word with my arts management folk in the area too, make sure they get in on the class before it fills up!!