Wednesday, January 09, 2013

4 weeks 'til I go to Mazatlán's Carnival!!

Hey there,

In four weeks, I'll be visiting Nico in Mazatlan, for their Carnival!!

So, Nico and I met at the American Dance Festival in 2006, held at Duke University, in Durham, NC. It was an amazing summer after I finished my undergrad at the University of Maryland, for Dance. It was an incredible 6 weeks of meeting phenomenal dancers from all over the country and the world, dancing 4 days a week for at least 4 hours a day.

Nico has been studying and is wrapping up his final year at the Escuela Profesional de Danza De Mazatlán (the school of Delfos danza contemporánea, I believe; my Spanish is a little rusty, and Google can only translate text, not flash, obviously). And after visiting me in DC a couple of times, it was time for me to make it there. Disclaimer: I have an awesome mother who used up some of her reward points to help get me the airplane ticket for the trip, as an early birthday present. Thank you mom!!


This will be my first trip to Mexico and I feel like I'm going to be spoiled. Not just going for Carnival, sure, but also going to visit someone I met years ago at such a formative event in my life, with such an intimate knowledge of the city.

So stay tuned for more posts leading up to, during, and after this trip. I'm going to do some research as to sites to see, but I'm also going to trust my local guide, as well as just enjoy the ride, during my time at Mazatlan's Carnival.

Now I just need to figure out what I need to do with my cell phone plan while I'm there...

- JR

2 comments:

james in DC said...

It depends on how long you've had your phone, and whether it's GSM or not, if it is you might be able to persuade the carrier to unlock it so that when you arrive in Mexico you buy a prepaid sim and pop it in your phone.

JR said...

Good call, thanks James!! :-D