Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Personal branding and photos on social media

Hey there,

One thing I spend a lot of time overanalyzing is personal branding. Yes, I'm sure it's nothing out of the ordinary for most people with a serious social media affliction.

But I also think about this as I strive to become a thought leader in my fields, as well as continue to build my public identity as a professional, self-employed artist, which I'd like to think isn't too far off from my personal and private identity. In fact, I strive for them to be as synchronized as possible, if not one and the same.

So with my latest photo update, it's probably the first time in a while I've consciously chosen photos to consistently use on my three main social networks, Facebook, Twitter, and Google+. The one outlier is the theme option in customizing one's Twitter design, but that'll be a post for another day.

Just wanted to share what I ended up with.

First up, we've got my Facebook profile.


Next on deck, is my Twitter. Haha, no pun intended given the recent news with TweetDeck.


Finally, we've got my profile on Google+.


You might've noticed the group profile photo on Facebook versus the solo version on the other two. This is mainly because Facebook is exclusively where I'm friends with people I know in person, so it just made sense for me to keep 'em in the shot, as well as tag them, whereas the other two platforms are more public.

I know, this might be a bit of an artificial distinction for some, but I mentioned I overanalyze things, and it's just what makes sense to me. I will say, I love how the cover photo works and plays with the different layouts, particularly Facebook & Google+ versus Twitter.

At the end of the day, though, this is a choice. Some might find it more useful to really customize the photos used depending on each platform's layout and dimensions. And I'm sure it's something I myself will explore sometime, when I have time to.

In the meantime, would love to hear how others address this, whether you use the same images or differentiate it based on the platform. Or even if you just don't think about it that much.

And please, feel free to leave links to your own profiles in the comments, if you'd like to share your personal examples, whether your own photo use is consistent, customized, or somewhere in between,

JR

No comments: