Tuesday, June 25, 2013

At the Supreme Court for Marriage Equality

Hey there,

So this is a bit of a hip shot, a term I first learned of regarding reviews for the Capital Fringe Festival, that weren't necessarily comprehensive, but whose priority was immediacy, to get the word out and something up online as soon as possible, with integrity.

That being said, I wanted to post something on my first day on the steps of the Supreme Court, with particular interest on the outcomes regarding Prop 8 and DOMA, yesterday. And the reporters were lined up and ready, as there were a number of rulings that would be made this week.


I even changed my profile pic the night before, to once again join the Human Rights Campaign's red picture equality campaign.

Actually attended a wonderful event organized by DC Chapter of AIGA, a professional craft and design membership organization, hosted and presented by HRC, called "The Art of Advocacy", which I still have to blog about, and will do so in the next week or so.

But I digress.

It was great seeing Aram Vartian, on staff at local LGBT publication Metro Weekly with their multimedia, in action.


And there were a number of community members representing, either with signs of their own story or waving the rainbow flag with pride.


And very grateful I got to join my friend, Sklyer Mays, a friend and service member from Arkansas. He was actually quoted in this Huffington Post piece from March, among other media outlets and platforms.


Oh. And that gay mormon in the picture earlier?

One of two gay mormons who are members of the Gay Men's Chorus of Washington, David Baker. He's actually one of our newest members, and a fellow gaymer. I didn't want to interrupt his advocating, but he indulged me with a photo.


As did Aram, as we were calling it a day, finding out that the rulings on Marriage Equality would not happen until later in the week.


But still glad I was there. Even if to help record and document that first day, just as a member of the public. Which is honestly a bit empowering, being there with other citizens, this collection of LGBT folks, allies, interns, tourists & reporters.


There was even one guy across the street who was not in support of same-sex marriage...and that's really all the space he deserves.

And although I got to call it a day, having heard what I needed to about the issues I was primarily there for, I had nothing but respect and appreciation for the reporters who are seemingly forever poised to do their job, even if it means waiting at length, just for something to happen.


What's that quote about a well-informed electorate?

Anyway, just wanted to post this, before getting ready for day 2!!

Really grateful, on days like this, that I live in Washington, DC.

P.S. You can see more photos:

No comments: