Wednesday, April 25, 2012

10 things done wrong on Social Media

Hey there,

I posted this link Idealware shared, 10 Things You're Doing Wrong on Social Media and just wanted to share some thoughts I had posted on Facebook.

Personally, I would say numbers 4, 6, & 7 are the top three consistent issues I've observed...Would be curious to see how much others have observed the other issues listed?

And for my fellow social media managers, which ones are your biggest challenges, and what're you going to do to address it?

A friend asked what to do about fans/followers who get most of their organization's content via social media, but miss most of the updates because they don't check it at work.

To them I said I would personally recommend using Hootsuite or another program, to schedule social media updates when your fans/followers are not at work, and more likely to be on social media. If you know the bulk of your fans/followers don't log on during the day, then don't schedule most of your status updates during the day.

Also, from what I've seen, that's where various media related to your main post come in handy. If you're updating them on an upcoming show, share a different pic each time but still (if on FB) with the link to your event page. It's not that the goal can't be the same, just make sure you're switching up the content of the message.

Ah, I remember the sentence that really made the light bulb go off, and I know it's a bit of a Captain Obvious thing, but I heard someone say in a webinar, when posting for your org:

"Don't post when you're on social media, post when your audience is on it".

That's why most of the posts I do for my org during the day tend to be content for other arts organizations, artists, and nonprofits, then evenings and weekends are more for the people we work with and the public we bring our artists to :-)

- JR

No comments: