Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Funemployment 2018 - Week 3 Report

Okay, so this one is also backdated. But this one's only several days late rather than one full week. And we'll get into that a bit here. So check out what's happened in the week since my Week 2 Report.

NOT All Fun and Games

So just in case it needed to be said for some people Funemployment is not fun by nature. I mean it's really just "unemployment" with a big ol' "F" in front of it...or a lower case "f", if you are so inclined. The catching up with friends slowed down with the holidays.

In fact I would say that calling it Funemployment to some degree is a bit of a work, and that's on purpose. I've called it that because I do not want my current situation to be defined by what is NOT there, in this case employment. I feel like, reminding myself that it is still possible to have fun and one should still have fun because otherwise I'd just be spiraling in what's a pretty depressing and stressful situation.

So that means gathering with friends and colleagues, getting out to see things that are free or through the generosity of friends and loved ones, it means being okay with stopping the grind to find another job to watch the new She-Ra on Netflix.

At one point during the week, this led me to reach out to Whitman Walker about one of their Peer Support Services, specifically their Individual Peer Support.

Peer counselors meet with peers for 50-minute sessions, once per week, for 10 weeks. Counselors can help peers set goals for success or just provide a listening ear; they are trained to provide objective support...
And I reached out to inquire about this because:

The Next Tuesday is the Anniversary of...

...the darkest day of my life. Here's a video of my story of what happened in 2010.


JR Russ tells true story at SpeakeasyDC - June 2012 from Story District on Vimeo.

So the week before, even weeks before, is a time I always tread carefully during, not just when I'm with others, but even when alone.

Job Hunting

Again, last week I mentioned two jobs that I was interested in and applied for.


One is the Executive Director position at Dance Metro DC. This was a bit of a no-brainer, although it still helped when I shared it on Facebook, that friends thought I'd be a good candidate for it. I mean, a member organization for the local dance community, looking to increase visibility for dance locally, create a sense of community, and provide support and services to help contribute to the economic stability of dance artists and organizations? Yes, please!


And then, for something completely different, a part-time Front Desk Receptionist position at Beacon House. Some of you might ask what would be so appealing about this? First, the organization, which is a DCAYA member org, is less than a 15 minute walk from my house, so commuting would be amazing. But also, being able to be involved in an organization doing GREAT work that's hyper-local and in my neighborhood is certainly a huge draw. Their mission:
to provide children in the Edgewood neighborhood of Northeast Washington, DC with a safe, nurturing, and life-expanding community in which to increase their academic achievement, discover their talents, and to grow into healthy adults who achieve their greatest potential.
Also, I miss being on the ground in a service organization, and interacting with young people and their families. Finally the part time work would allow me to still pursue things during the day and night.

Two other opportunities I'll be applying for over the next week are Digital Marketing and Communications Manager at Step Afrika! and Deputy Director for Operations at HumanitiesDC.


My Monthly Moot

One thing that helped was my monthly (close to the) end of month Moot I host at my place of residence. And with the exception of three times, I've been hosting these regularly since March of 2015.

For the record, "moot" is actually a word that means something like, "a gathering of like-minded people." It was a pretty great way to decompress from Thanksgiving, which I'm not even going to talk about because it was that uneventful.

The Moot was meant to be an opportunity for all my creative friends and colleagues, from Burners to Dancers, Actors and Visual Artists, to gather. But it has turned into mostly my Burner friends, which actually still includes a great mix of artists of many disciplines.

At one point we played Space Team, which included introducing the game to a few newbies. It is self-described (and very succinctly and accurately) as:
A cooperative shouting game for phones and tablets
Watch the trailer.


Anyway, mischief was certainly managed.

This is also the day that She-Ra was started, and I had finished inhaling the entire first season before the weekend was over.

Speaking of Mischief

So...nothing really happened over the weekend. I'm actually looking at my calendar, and each day is completely empty. But then on Monday, I have a bunch of lovely calls related to Mischief DC's tenth annual Naughty Snowball Party: Rated X'Mas.

So fun fact: we had to create a SFW version of our Facebook event page, because we received feedback that people did not feel comfortable responding to the other one. And here they are:
And on Monday, I got to chat with fellow board members and volunteers about Art Grants as well as putting in place some Consent and Conduct guidelines and supports. And if you are interested in helping with the latter, please email me at nexus@dcburners.org.

Coming Up in Funemployment Week 4

That was it for week 3. The next week is definitely a bit more packed with:
  • Work From Home - Giving Tuesday Edition
  • Morning Vinyasa with Kegan
  • CreativeMornings/DC
  • John Kevin Boggs Memorial Award Selection
And a reminder that I'm experimenting with email updates specifically targeted to different interests and events.


Until next time,
- JR aka Nexus

No comments: